2) Present new items as soon as you can - Whether you have an etsy shop, a web shop, a web service, or a real store in town, present your new items as soon as you can. You can't sell it if it's not out there. So when you have something new, add it to your shop. Let people know it's there. See how they respond.
3) Participate in community - Spend a little time each day talking to others that do similar things as you do. Ask questions, answer questions, lend support. Even if you think you don't have anything to say, you actually probably do. Have coffee with the shop owner down the street. Attend creative courses in your community. Attend creative events or join creative groups in your area. Attend conferences. Make sure you hand out your business card to everyone you meet at these events. Wear your product (if they are wearable) as much as possible & have your business cards with you to hand out all the time. Join some teams on Etsy & be active in the forums. If you are an Etsy seller, try to post 5+ treasuries per week.
4) Start an email newsletter - I just started mine recently - you can sign up here:
5) Have a contest - When you're just starting out, this is a great idea. Host a contest on your own blog. Contact blogs where your idea customer would read & ask about having a giveaway with them. Host a giveaway in your community or put out your email list at your next craft show & let people know that those who sign up today will be entered into a drawing. This will entice more people to sign up, then you'll be able to market to them again in the future!
6) Participate in social marketing - Twitter, Facebook, blogging, Flicker, & Pinterest are the big ones I think. I used to think Twitter was so lame, but now I love it! Pinterest is the newest thing & can really bring in the new customers if something you sell catches on there. I've just started a Flicker account, so I can't tell you too much about this one, but I hear it's supposed to be a great place to market your things for free. If anyone has any Flicker tips, let me know in the comments! These are all ways to obtain followers & again, remind them that you exist. It's also a place to build community, find friends & people that you can talk to about your business & help each other out by marketing each other. Make sure when you use these you're not ONLY marketing. People want to see that you're a well rounded person. You should market for other friends & products that you really like. You should show some of your personality. People purchasing from a creative business owner often want to feel like they know the person they are buying from, that's part of the experience. Let your customers into your life to the extent you feel comfortable.
I hope these ideas point you in the right direction on how to market yourself & your business. There is so much you can do to market, so it can be overwhelming. Set aside a certain amount of time every day for marketing. Maybe you have only a half hour every day to spend. Maybe you can spare an hour. Just make a time & do something for marketing every day. If you do this daily, your little marketing items out in the world will build up & slowly start to pay off for you!
Like this post? Please share it. Tweet about it? Facebook it? Pin? I would love you even more!
I will be linking this post up to these awesome sites.